Sunday, April 17, 2011

This blog is about to get real, real boring…

I know that you have come to expect the constant excitement from the quakes but it looks like those days are coming to an end.  We had one very small quake this weekend and I only knew that it was happening because they stopped the trains.  I know some of you are in total shock right now and it’s not from the quake.  Yes it’s true, I found public transit!  I acutally bought a pass, which means there are more trips in my future.  I often worry about Toronto’s cab industry and how it is surviving without me.  I picture empty cabs waiting outside my condo at 311 hoping I’ll return.          

So back to this public transit business, why, why, why?  This weekend I met up with some friends to experience my first Cherry Blossoms celebration.  I must say that they do a lot of things well in Japan and celebrating Cherry Blossoms is certainly one of them.  Everyone brings food and excessive amounts of booze.  One guy arrived carrying more than his weight in wine, as you can imagine we hit it off.  What was supposed to be lunch quickly turned into dinner, we spent hours underneath cherry blossom trees eating, drinking and depending on your intoxication level playing games.  

It looks like this could be a year of celebrations.  Japan has more national holidays than any other country.  A few of my favourites are Marine Day on July 18th, Respect for the Aged Day on Sept 19th and how could we not celebrate Greenery Day on May 4th.  

As the weekend comes to and end, it’s hard to believe that I arrived in Japan 6 weeks ago, time flies…