Sunday, March 13, 2011

All shook up…

The aftershocks continued throughout the day, my building sounds like an old door creaking every time one hits.  A friend called today to translate a Japanese news story, apparently there are more earthquakes to come.  Thanks Kayo but sometimes ignorance is bliss.  

To prepare I have tried to put together an emergency kit.  For those of you that have been to my place, you will agree that I’m not well known for my stocked fridge/supplies.  I was able to pull together a bottle of water , ½ a box of crackers, two blackberries and a camera (I would hate to miss a good photo opp).   I have also pooled together my YEN and CAD, hopefully in a time a crisis I can get a good FX rate on my CAD. 

My next thought was to flee Japan, it’s been a good run.  I’ve experienced more in one week than some people do in a year.  And then it hits me, I don’t even have my passport, it's with Japanese government processing my Japanese residence card.  I am debating calling them up to tell them no need, I’m out of here.  But I am going to remain calm and level headed…yes something else I’m not that well known for.

My office has been in touch over the weekend.  Only essential staff will be going into the office tomorrow.  I'm a little offended that I’m not essential staff but I’m going to let that one go for now.  :)
 
Can’t wait to see what week two has in store…